Here are the highlights for January 2017:
* On January 10, a judge in Dallas, Texas granted our motion, dismissing a defamation lawsuit filed against our clients, the Center for Security Policy and Jim Hanson, by Mohamed Mohamed on his own behalf and on behalf of his 15-year old son, Ahmed Mohamed.
Ahmed is better known as “Clock Boy” for bringing a hoax clock bomb to his Irving, Texas school in September 2015 and causing a bomb scare that led to his arrest and suspension from school.
As a result of this victory, we are asking the court to award us attorneys’ fees and to sanction Clock Boy’s father and his attorneys for filing a meritless lawsuit whose only purpose is to silence those who might speak out publicly against Islam.
* On January 11, we took the deposition of King County’s expert in our lawsuit filed against the County on behalf of the American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI), Pamela Geller, and Robert Spencer. The County (located in Seattle, Washington) refused to run our clients “Faces of Global Terrorism” ad, claiming that showing the faces of the FBI’s most wanted global terrorists was “demeaning and disparaging” toward Muslims.
* For most of January, AFLC Co-Founder and Senior Counsel David Yerushalmi was in California preparing discovery and discovery responses in our case defending Urth Cafe and its owners against a fraudulent discrimination claim filed against them by Muslim women who were trespassing on Urth Cafe property when they refused to leave and caused a disruption because they were told to abide by a table time-limit policy that applies to all patrons of the cafe, not just Muslims.
* On January 23, AFLC celebrated its five-year anniversary. We’ve accomplished a lot in such a short time, and thanks to your prayers and financial support, we are getting even stronger.
* On January 24, we finalized a settlement with the Mount San Jacinto College District, settling a lawsuit filed by our client Professor Denise Nussbaum. At the time, Professor Nussbaum was a tenured full professor and Chair of the Sociology Department. She sued the Mount San Jacinto College in Riverside, California, and Professor Gary Vargas after she was physically assaulted by Vargas during a heated discussion about Israel. Professor Vargas had sided with a group of hardcore, anti-Israel activists on campus consisting of faculty and students.
After Professor Nussbaum filed her complaints for assault against Vargas, the College and its administrators circled the wagons and corrupted the investigation in order to protect Vargas.
The settlement agreement provides Professor Nussbaum with an unprecedented package of accommodations according her full protection from any future assaults or hostile working conditions until retirement.
* We’ve been working hard to accomplish many deadlines that are fast approaching throughout February, including the following:
- Filing a petition for writ of certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court in Silver v. Cheektowaga Central School District—a case involving the censorship of a Christian teacher.
- Preparing for trial in California in Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, Inc. (CBR) v. The Irvine Company. We are representing CBR in this pro-life speech case.
- Preparing discovery, motions, and expert testimony on sharia, terrorism, and CAIR in our case in Oklahoma defending Chad and Nicole Neal, operators of a gun range who don’t want terrorists training at their facility. CAIR and the ACLU sued the Neal’s, claiming religious discrimination.
- Responding to a motion to dismiss our lawsuit filed on behalf of a pro-life demonstrator who was unlawfully arrested and imprisoned for two and half days by police officers from the City of Westland, Michigan. We also named as defendants in this case the Northland Family Planning Center, an abortion facility located in Westland, its CEO and employees. The Northland defendants filed the motion, claiming that they are not liable for instigating this false arrest and concurrently defaming our client. We are strenuously opposing this motion.
Thank you for your prayers and your financial support. We couldn’t do what we do without them!
God bless you, and may God continue to bless America!
Please remember to “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter